Saturday 12 January 2013

The Harry Potter Magic Cape

Do you like my new haircut - I'm going for the full fringe approach to cover my wrinkles! My daughter cut it for me this morning.

I declare my first 'Non-Working Wednesday' a success! My cape is finished, it feels so good to have something tangible to show for my day off. I'd set myself a deadline of having it finished by tomorrow, one of my Christmas gifts from my OH was tickets to 'The Making of Harry Potter' Studio Tour, P is very good at surprises. I am very excited, what would be more fitting to wear than a cape/cloak? Sadly I don't have the skills to add an invisibility spell!



So, as the purpose of this blog is really to record what I've made and anything I've learnt in the process, here's the facts:

Pattern: New Look 6007 - about £4

Fabric: 3m of 70% wool/25% polyester/5% lurex, 150cm wide. From eBay. £10.99 for the fabric, £6.99 for courier shipping. I'm really pleased with the fabric for the price and would not hesitate to buy from the seller 's shop again - not that I'm any kind of fabric expert mind you.

Lining: 1 Stashbuster Point to me, I picked this up with no clear purpose in mind when I bought the broiderie anglaise for my Bow Sorbetto. The tag says '1.5 m/£2/cotton' - nearly all used up - Bazinga!

Notions: Just thread - does that even count? I mean how can you sew without thread?

Instructions: Very clear, 'Easy' is exactly right. However I wanted the cape lined (for neatness and warmth) and it's not supposed to be. It was easy enough to figure out which pieces I needed I just had to think about the order of assembly a bit. Now I've made it once it would be a doddle to do again.

Extra tutorials used: This was really about steaming the wool fabric, see here. The lining process I just figured out. This was a really good pattern to use to practice lining an unlined piece - no sleeves to worry about!

All tidy on the inside


New skills learnt: Well the steaming of the wool I guess. And I've not made outerwear before or really tackled collars. And I did more top-stitching than I've done before. Oh, and figuring out how to line an unlined garment. Not a specific skill but general confidence building I think - thank you Magic Cape.

Would I make it again?: Yes, although I don't know how much room I have for capes in my wardrobe without looking obsessive! Perhaps one more in a bright colour? And, selflessly, I would make this for somebody else as it's so easy.

If so, what would I do differently?: All of the above changes again and I might add pockets, I do like a pocket.

'Cake' or 'Frosting'?: Definitely 'cake', I only finished it on Wednesday and I've worn it twice already. And of course it gets it's official HP airing tomorrow. It's actually brilliant for the car, sometimes I find a warm coat cumbersome to drive in.

My dedication to finishing the Magic Cape (rather than get distracted by the beautiful Valentino pattern) paid off as my second Valentino parcel arrived from the USA and I'm all clear of sewing projects so can think about tackling it with a clear mind. Look at this pattern of gorgeousness:



So my 'plan', which is working up to a 'Plan', and with Sam's help might even be a 'PLAN', is a step nearer. More to do but we're getting there. I am very excited.

Oh, and as it would have been daft to pay for postage on one item, when it's so much more thrifty to combine it, I also have these 2 beauties from the same source:

The one on the left is the same age as me, I am definitely going to give it a go


Have a good weekend

X



18 comments:

  1. I LOVE it Jacq! So gorgeous. It suits you perfectly, its beautifully finished and you learned some new skills. What more could you want? Other than invisibility of course!

    Very jealous of your visit to the Harry Potter studio tour tomorrow. It's less than 10 miles from my house and have I been? No, I haven't!

    Love the new haircut too although I don't think you've got any wrinkles to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I am really pleased with it, it's a great pattern to use. It was actually thinking about my answers for the Liebster Award that reminded me 'it's about the process', I just worked methodically and didn't give myself a hard time, I do give myself grief!

    I'm so looking forward to tomorrow, didn't realise I'd be within waving distance of you. I think you should go, it's meant to be great.

    And you're very kind but my frown lines map my early years pretty spectacularly, it was either a fringe or botox!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is fabulous! And I am very jealous of you going to the Harry Potter Studios. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - given the beautiful things you make I am definitely taking that compliment!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous make! This looks fab on AND super profesh! A win win :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am properly pleased with it - mostly because I enjoyed the making of it, I am a bit hard on myself generally, that's clearly an area I need to work on! :)

      Delete
  5. I love capes and this has a bit of a twist with the tie, which I love. Anyway, well done, it looks fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I see you're planning to make a cape too - looking forward to seeing the finished article :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Jacq, love the cape. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm quite nervous but keep thinking about the outcome.
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm not sure it would stand up to your expert scrutiny! Best of luck x

      Delete
  7. It's so beautiful!! I really love it! and your haircut looks great - I got my bangs (I like how you call them fringe?) about a year ago and everyone immediately said I look younger - it was great!! I don't think I'll ever grow them out again :)
    I would LOVE to go to the Harry Potter studios - how fun! I hope you let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I looked it up, I'm pretty sure fringe/bangs mean exactly the same thing - just a UK/US thing!

      Delete
  8. Love the cape! I've used this pattern too and agree it's really easy plus I think the shape of this cape is more flattering than some. Yours looks so cosy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's because of your Miss Marple cape that I picked this pattern :)

      Delete
  9. It is SO MARVELOUS!!! I absolutely love the colors in the wool, and I think the lining turned out beautifully! What a wonderful piece, it goes perfectly with your lovely hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've reverted to my 6 year old self and have a little 'swish' whilst walking along - it makes me happy! :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! That cape is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it gets loads of compliments which is bonkers because it was very easy :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)